I have talked to a few couples who have been on the fence about doing an engagement session and I totally get it. My husband and I were very much into hiring one of our favorite wedding photographers but could give or take the engagement photos. Until we did it and got the photos back! I am so glad that I have them now - it will forever be the first time we had professional photos taken. We were silly and it was snowy out and we were wearing coats and beanies and I love everything about them. I thought I would make a list of reasons why it is totally worth it!
1. You can use the pictures for SO many things. The "Save the Dates." Invitations. Your wedding website. Your Facebook profile pic!
2. I love a unique "guestbook" but it's also fun to do the traditional DIY photo book with pictures of your engagement shoot. That way you get your "album" and guestbook in one! I have also seen many couples hang up framed pictures from their engagement shoot or have them on the tables or around the gift table.
3. It's FUN!! Or at least it should be. Whether we hike a mountain, have a drink downtown or listen to records at your house - I make sure the couple knows this is going to be a FUN and relaxing time. And that I hope they fall in love even more as there will be a lot of cuddling up and lovin' on each other. I am not there to make you be someone you are not - I am there to capture YOU and your love for each other. This will be an adventure.
4. It's a chance to get professional photos of yourselves besides when you are in your wedding attire. I love my wedding photos, but I feel like my engagement photos are more "us." We have a few up around our house and I love looking at them.
5. The pressure is off during an engagement session. On your wedding day you may (hopefully not) feel a little overwhelmed with family and the timeline and needing to get to the next thing. During engagement shoots I recommend planning that day to connect with your fiancé - plan a little date after or go grab a drink before.
6. You can pick the location! Having a mountain wedding and want something different? We could do something more urban. Want to camp in Joshua Tree? Go to Strawberry Hot Springs in Steamboat during the day? Me too!! Let's go.
7. You get some experience getting your photo taken. It can be awkward when the photographer is getting in real close - and you don't know where to look or where to put your hands. I am there to guide you and it can take a minute to relax and be yourself. I find that couples who's engagement pictures I took - are more comfortable and know a little more what to expect and confident in front of the camera on the wedding day. This is especially true for guys.
8. This is a short season of your life where you have so much anticipation and excitement. Yes, there is planning to do but you are about to commit to being a team. There is so much peace and love that you have found your person. And it naturally comes out on camera when we do a shoot. Engagement shoots are my favorite because of all the raw, natural energy between the couple.
If you are an adventurous, madly in love couple who have more questions or would like to book an engagement session - let's get you in the books! I'll bring the fun if you bring the love.